This app is the PERFECT SOLUTION for placing an image over text in a Google Document. It is super easy to use and much too simple to misunderstand.
1) Insert an image into the document
2) Click (select) that same image
3) While leaving the image selected, in the Menu Ribbon above (next to Tools), click, "Add-ons"
4) In the drop-down menu, click, "Image Above Text for Google Docs"
5) In the drop-down, drop-down menu, click, "Place selected image above text"
6) You are now done and allowed to move your previously selected image around the document anywhere you wish at anytime without having to go through this process anymore.
Tip: Use an image editing tool to delete selected areas of your image and save as a PNG before you import them into your Google Doc. The deleted holes, spaces and contours will now be transparent for a more refined and professional end result.