How we're protecting your Google Workspace data in the era of generative AI
Yulie Kwon Kim
VP, Product Management, Workspace Platform
Google Workspace Newsletter
Keep up with the evolving future of work and collaboration with insights, trends, and product news.SIGN UP
For nearly 25 years, Google has built helpful, secure products that give users choice and control over their data. It’s a bedrock principle for us. This was the case back when we first launched Gmail in 2004, and it remains true as we enter the era of generative AI with Duet AI in Google Workspace. Across Google Cloud and Workspace, we’ve long shared robust privacy commitments that outline how we protect user data and prioritize privacy. Generative AI doesn’t change these commitments — it actually reaffirms their importance.
We’ve designed our technology so that your Google Workspace content (emails, documents, etc.) will not be shared with other users without permission. This commitment covers all of our Google Workspace products for personal and business use, including Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Calendar, Meet, and Chat.
Our privacy commitments to all Workspace users
We want to be completely clear that generative AI does not change our foundational privacy protections for giving users choice and control over their data. To that end, here are key facts about how Workspace data is handled:
- Your data is your data. The content that you put into Google Workspace services (emails, documents, etc.) is yours. We never sell your data, and you can delete your content or export it.
- Your data stays in Workspace. We do not use your Workspace data to train or improve the underlying generative AI and large language models that power Bard, Search, and other systems outside of Workspace without permission.
- Your privacy is protected. Interactions with intelligent Workspace features, such as accepting or rejecting spelling suggestions, or reporting spam, are anonymized and/or aggregated and may be used to improve or develop helpful Workspace features like spam protection, spell check, and autocomplete. This extends to new features we are currently developing like improved prompt suggestions that help Workspace users get the best results from Duet AI features. These features are developed with strict privacy protections that keep users in control. (See below for more detail on additional privacy, security, and compliance commitments we make for business customers).
Your content is not used for ads targeting. As a reminder, Google does not collect, scan, or use your content in Google Workspace services for advertising purposes.
These are the privacy commitments that Workspace extends to all of its users. But they aren’t just words. To ensure we continually meet these high standards, independent auditors validate our practices against international standards and best practices.
Security and compliance commitments for business, education, and public-sector customers
When Google Workspace commercial customers adopt Duet AI for Google Workspace Enterprise they get the same robust data protection and security standards that come with all Google Workspace services, with specific protections for businesses, education, and public-sector customers:
- Your interactions with Duet AI stay within your organization. Duet AI stores any prompts or generated content alongside your Workspace content and does not share them outside your organization.
- Your existing Google Workspace protections are automatically applied. Duet AI brings the same enterprise-grade security as the rest of Google Workspace, automatically applying your organization’s existing controls and data handling practices, such as data-regions policies and Data Loss Prevention.
- Your content is not used for any other customers. None of your content is used for model training outside of your domain without permission.
Workspace’s robust security and privacy commitments for customers can be found here, and business or public-sector organizations that want to learn more about Duet AI for Google Workspace Enterprise can find more here.